Off to the races: World Cup events taking place across Aspen today
Aspen Daily News Staff Report
Saturday, November 24, 2012
The world’s best women ski racers take to the hill today, kicking off the Audi FIS Alpine World Cup at the Nature Valley Aspen Winternational on Ajax. Spectating will happen at the base of Lift 1A today for the giant slalom race.
But the fun doesn’t end after the races; a host of free community events and activities will round out the weekend. There are events scheduled all day long, with fireworks over Aspen Mountain tonight that cap off the festivities.
Dubbed the “Taste of Winternational” and hosted by Aspen/Snowmass and the Aspen Community Foundation, the public is invited to enjoy beverages and complimentary food tastings from on-mountain restaurants and Aspen Skiing Co.’s catering division. Starting at 11:45 a.m. today and 11:30 a.m. on Sunday come enjoy food, music, giveaways and help cheer on the racers at the venue. Live music will accompany half-time at the Taste of Winternational event on both days.
Here is today’s schedule of activities:
• 8 a.m.-3 p.m. — Free public shuttles run every 20 minutes on the hour from Rubey Park, the St. Regis and the bottom of South Aspen Street to the venue.
• 10 a.m.-4 p.m. — Sponsor village open at Gondola Plaza.
• 10:15 a.m. — Race start: Women’s giant slalom run 1 on Strawpile.
• 11:45 a.m. — Taste of Winternational, featuring complimentary food tastings and beverages from SkiCo restaurants at the finish area.
• 11:45 a.m. — Live music, prize giveaways and a kids race at the finish area.
• 1:15 p.m. — Race start: Women’s giant slalom final on Strawpile.
• 6 p.m.-9 p.m. — Dine around at downtown Aspen participating restaurants. Check aspensnowmass.com for details.
• 6:30 p.m.-8 p.m. — Bud Light Hi-Fi Concert Series featuring Reverend Horton Heat at the upper Gondola Plaza.
• 8-8:15 p.m. — Awards ceremony for giant slalom winners on the concert stage at the base of Aspen Mountain.
• 8:15 p.m. — Fireworks extravaganza over the Little Nell run.