The California man who was found unresponsive in an Aspen hotel room on New Year’s Eve and was later pronounced dead had fentanyl, methamphetamine and cocaine in his system, according to a statement from the Pitkin County Coroner’s Office released Friday.
Jonathan Irons, 26, of Santa Monica, Calif., was found around 8:45 p.m. in a Hotel Jerome room. Police officers immediately began CPR and administered Narcan, an antidote for an opioid overdose, after a witness in the room said Irons had suffered a possible drug overdose. Syringes and a brown substance police believe may be heroin were found in the room. Another man in the room was “awake but in an altered state of consciousness [and] also in distress,” the Aspen Police Department said in a press release.
Both were rushed to Aspen Valley Hospital, where Irons was pronounced dead.
Fentanyl, methamphetamine and cocaine were contributing drugs in the cause of death, which was listed as accidental and the result of combined drug intoxication in the coroner’s press release.