A fire Monday morning in the Fryingpan River Valley destroyed a shed that was being used as a coop for pheasants, killing chicks and causing an estimated $5,000 in damage, according to a press release sent out by Roaring Fork Fire Rescue.

Firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire around 6:30. The fire was at 309 Taylor Creek Rd., about 6 miles up the river from Basalt. According to the release, the first arriving crews reported heavy smoke from an outbuilding. They were able to enter the building and quickly extinguish the fire.

It is believed that the fire was caused by a heating device that malfunctioned, and the fire has been deemed accidental. There were no damages outside of the building, but pheasant chicks inside the coop did not survive.

Roaring Fork Fire Rescue responded with eight personnel in two command vehicles, two engines and a tender truck.

There was also a controlled burn in Missouri Heights on Saturday. The burn took place on Vista Hi Drive above El Jebel Road near Blue Creek Trail. Flames and smoke were visible from Highway 82.