The city of Aspen’s Historic Preservation Commission will present its annual awards during city council’s meeting today, this year honoring restorations on two Main Street properties.
The HPC awards have been given for over 25 years to recognize projects that have made an outstanding contribution to historic preservation in Aspen and to thank those responsible.
This year, HPC will honor two projects involving the careful restorations of the Sardy House at 128 E. Main St. and Mesa Store at 500 W. Main St.
“Aspen HPC values the high-quality restoration represented by these projects,” Amy Simon, city of Aspen historic preservation officer, said in a press release. “The awards recognize a significant financial commitment and stewardship by the owners of these important and prominent historic resources, and the excellent work completed by local designers and contractors.”
The Sardy House is a Queen Anne-style mansion built in 1891. The exterior of the historic house has been entirely repaired or restored, including brick, windows, woodwork, roofing, stained glass and metal architectural detailing. The front porch balcony was reconstructed to its original appearance, absent for many decades. The property is owned by BRTSardy, LLC. The project architect is Brewster McLeod Architects, LLC. The engineering team included Structural Engineering Services, Inc.; BG Buildingworks; and Sopris Engineering. The landscape architect was Connect One Design; glass consultant was Element Architectural Glass; contractors were Dowbuilt and PD Builder; window restoration by RL Woodworks + Design; framing by K2 Building Group, LLP; painting by Aspen Painting, Inc.; front porch restoration by Hopkins and Co., Inc.; roofing by GZO Sheet Metal and Roofing, Inc.; brick cleaning by Aspen Tile; metalwork restoration by Brenton Curtis Metalsmithing, LLC; metalwork painting by Great Western Painting, Inc.; structural steel by Black Magic Welding, Inc.; and exterior woodwork by Summers Architectural Mouldings.
The Mesa Store is a balloon-framed, false-front structure built in 1890 that has been converted to offices for Rowland + Broughton. The windows, chimneys and the front porch were restored to the original design. A parking area alongside the building is now a large garden, beautifying Main Street.
The owner/architect on the project is Rowland + Broughton; the contractor was Schlumberger Scherer Construction; structural engineering by KL&A, Inc.; mechanical engineering by BG Buildingworks; civil engineer was High Country Engineering, Inc.; and funding was provided by ANB Bank.